This model expresses cre-recombinase under the control of the endogenous vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) promoter enabling specific expression in VIP positive GABAergic interneurons. This model possesses a targeted insertion of (T2A)-cre immediately before the translational stop in the open reading frame of the VIP gene. The VIP-Cre rat is useful for applications requiring tissue specific expression, including optogenetics and breeding with transgenic floxed lines.
- Diet Value
LabDiet #5R24 (RMH2500)
- Health Report
- Research Application
• Expression/knockout of floxed genes
- Research Area
• Cre recombinase driven by endogenous VIP promoter
• No observed ectopic expression of cre
• Targeted insertion eliminates possible gene disruption that may occur in random insertion technologies such as BAC
• Background Strain: Long Evans Hooded
- Figure 1
Figure 1. VIP anti-sense probe mRNA in situ hybridization and anti-Tdtomato antibody staining confirms the correct expression pattern of Cre recombinase in the VIP positive neurons in the brain of VIP-cre, Rosa Tom rats.