This model expresses cre-recombinase under the control of the endogenous Tryptophan Hydroxylase 2 (Tph2) promoter enabling specific expression in Tph2 positive serotonergic neurons. This model possesses a targeted insertion of (T2A)-cre immediately before the translational stop in the open reading frame of the Tph2 gene. The Tph2-Cre rat is useful for applications requiring tissue specific expression, including optogenetics and breeding with transgenic floxed lines.
- Diet Value
LabDiet #5R24 (RMH2500)
- Health Report
- Research Application
• Expression/knockout of floxed genes
- Research Area
• Cre recombinase driven by endogenous Tph2 promoter
• No observed ectopic expression of cre
• Targeted insertion eliminates possible gene disruption that may occur in random insertion technologies such as BAC
• Background Strain: Long Evans Hooded
- Figure 1
Figure 1. Tph2 anti-sense probe mRNA in situ hybridization and anti-Tdtomato antibody staining confirms the expected labeling pattern of Cre recombinase in Tph2 positive serotonergic neurons in Raphe nuclei in the brain of VIP-cre, Rosa Tom rats (A-A’’). In addition, some Tph2 negative neurons in the cerebral cortex are also labeled with Tdtomato, which may reflect the expression of Tph2 during the developmental stage (B-B’’).