This model expresses cre-recombinase under the control of the endogenous solute carrier family 32 member 1 (Vgat) promoter enabling specific expression in Vgat positive GABAergic neurons. This model possesses a targeted insertion of (IRES)-cre immediately after the translational stop in the open reading frame of the Vgat gene. The Vgat-Cre rat is useful for applications requiring tissue specific expression, including optogenetics and breeding with transgenic floxed lines.
- Diet Value
LabDiet #5R24 (RMH2500)
- Health Report
- Research Application
• Expression/knockout of floxed genes
- Research Area
• Cre recombinase driven by endogenous Vgat promoter
• No observed ectopic expression of cre
• Targeted insertion eliminates possible gene disruption that may occur in random insertion technologies such as BAC
• Background Strain: Long Evans Hooded
- Figure 1
Figure 1. A combination of Slc32A1 (Vgat) in situ hybridization and Tdtomato antibody staining confirms that the Cre recombinase is expressed in the Slc32A1 (Vgat) positive neurons in the brain.