This model contains a biallelic deletion within the Disc1 (disrupted in schizophrenia 1) gene, encoding the DISC1 protein. A translocation disrupting Disc1 was discovered to co-segregate with major psychiatric illness in a Scottish family. This model is useful in the study of schizophrenia.
- Diet Value
LabDiet #5R24 (RMH2500)
- Age Weight Curve
- Research Application
• Bipolar disorder
• Neuronal growth and transport studies
- Research Area
• Disc1 is involved in neuronal growth and cortical development
• The protein also regulates the proliferation of embryonic and adult neuronal progenitor cells through the GSK3/ß-catenin pathway
• Preliminary reports suggest impaired prepulse inhibition in Disc1 knockout rats
• Background Strain: Sprague-Dawley
- Figure 1
Figure 1: Disc1 knockout rats display impaired pre-pulse inhibition.
Disc1 knockout rats showed significantly reduced pre-pulse inhibition at 3 and 6 db compared to wild type control rats.
Data courtesy of Pfizer NeuroBehavioral Core, Cambridge, MA